Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Discussion Forum

Is this "Breathe Easy" Mask Enhancer safe?

Is this "Breathe Easy" Mask Enhancer safe?

by worried parent -
Number of replies: 11

Hello, I saw this new apparatus and wondering if it will be safe to use it please?

https://getcoolturtle.com

In reply to worried parent

Re: Is this "Breathe Easy" Mask Enhancer safe?

by COVID19 Moderator -
Hi there, thank you for your post! We are happy to know that you are taking your safety into consideration before purchasing any products. Though we cannot comment on the safety for any commercial mask/accessories, we can inform you that the World Health Organization (WHO) stated the following below: 

There are different mask shapes such as flat-fold or duckbill – find the one that fits closely over your nose, cheeks and chin. When the edges of the mask are not close to the face and shift, such as when speaking, air penetrates through the edges of the mask rather than being filtered through the fabric. Masks with vents or exhalation valves are not advised because they allow unfiltered breath to escape the mask.

For more information on mask recommendations, please visit the page called Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Masks on the WHO website.
In reply to COVID19 Moderator

by worried parent -
Thank you for the response but that further complicates things I think because the more snug the mask is the more difficult to breathe but I do understand the benefit of having the mask fit snugly. Based on that info then I would have to think that best scenario might be to get this accessory and have the filter in front of it maybe?

by COVID19 Moderator -
Hi there, while wearing a mask that fits closely over your nose, cheeks and chin helps to avoid air from coming through the edges of the mask, some people may feel that it is harder to breathe. This trade-off can make it difficult for some people, making it harder for them to keep their masks on for extended periods of time. 

Again, though we cannot comment on the safety for any commercial mask/accessories worn either underneath or in front of the mask, I do want to kindly note the following disclaimer that is mentioned on the website: The Cool Turtle™ product is intended for use with non-medical masks only. Do not use for any medical purposes. For guidance on the proper use of non-medical masks, please feel free to review the Non-Medical Masks and Face Covering page on the Government of Canada website. 

My apologies that we cannot give you a direct answer to your question. We hope these resources can help you make an informed decision regarding your safety. 

by worried parent -
I understand and thank you. If I may touch on one final aspect of this please, the article you referenced states:

"Masks with vents or exhalation valves are not advised because they allow unfiltered breath to escape the mask."

My info on what exactly spreads the virus are "droplets" [so liquids] when one is speaking or sneezing. if that is accurate then I am not understanding about "breath" escaping issues, can you shed some light on this for me please? Seems to me if breath escaping can transfer the virus then face shields would not be of much use?

by COVID19 Moderator -
Hi there, first and foremost, thank you for taking the time to do your research in order to protect yourself and/or your loved ones, and for bringing your questions here for others to learn from as well. We not only welcome you to touch on aspects of the article(s), but we encourage you to do so!

With regards to droplets:
Naturally produced droplets from humans not only include droplets produced by sneezing and coughing, but they also include droplets produced by breathing as well! Not everyone is aware of this, so I am happy that you asked this question. 

With regards to vents/exhalation valves:
It is said that, "Masks with exhalation valves or vents are not recommended. These masks do not protect others from COVID-19 or limit the spread of the virus. This is because they allow infectious respiratory droplets to spread outside the mask."

With regards to face shields:
It is said that, "A face shield is used to protect the eyes of the person wearing it. Using a face shield without a mask: won't protect you from potentially inhaling infectious respiratory droplets exhaled by others, and it won't protect others from your infectious respiratory droplets, as they can escape around the face shield".

Again, we encourage you to continue asking more questions that you may have. Thanks again for bringing your questions to us and we hope to hear back from you!

by worried parent -
So guys, hoping you all had a great and safe Holiday [mine was very quiet]. After putting a lot of thought into this and wanting to be as safe as possible I have these questions.

Since the virus would be in the air from an infected person in an enclosed room or car then being 6' apart should not make much difference?

Also, I don't think I have ever seen anyone with a mask which would be tight fitting enough to prevent air from being exchanged so maybe the Gaiter might be the best mask since it should keep the air between your mouth and all the way down the neck?

by COVID19 Moderator -

Hi, happy holidays to you as well! Thank you for bringing your thought-provoking questions to us here today. 

Wearing proper personal protective equipment (e.g., a mask, gown, face shield etc.) and maintaining physical distance (i.e., at least 6 feet) helps to reduce your risk of getting COVID. As mentioned on the Government of Canada website, “risk is higher when you’re in smaller, crowded or enclosed spaces, where you may be unable to maintain a physical distance from others and practise good hygiene, such as washing your hands.” If you are caring for someone with COVID, it is still recommended to maintain at least 6 feet distance. Please see this page for more details here.

You are correct, according to Public Health Ontario masks (including non-medical masks) should be tightly fitting in order to effectively contain the respiratory droplets of the wearer. When considering what type of non-medical mask to use, the fitting and the material of the mask are both important to consider. It says that, "materials with higher filtration efficiency may offer additional protection". 

We hope this helps provide you with additional information to help keep you and your loved ones safe. 

by worried parent -
Since the virus would be in the air in an enclosed room or car, would it make sense to get an air sanitizer " spray" before people enter the room and afterwards? If yes, any recommendations for Sprays please?

by worried parent -
Sorry I can't edit previous reply. To clarify I meant sprays for the air and not surfaces.

by COVID19 Moderator -
Hi worried parent. Thank you for your response. These are very important questions and concerns that many people are currently facing. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of our discussion forum. That being said, we are not public health experts and therefore we are unable to provide government-approved sanitation recommendations or answers related to public health concerns. However, we would like to provide you with this link here, where you can ask public health experts your questions. If you have any mental health symptoms, such as anxiety, related to COVID-19, please do not hesitate to reach out to us here. Thank you!

by worried parent -
I agree that my questions should be more accurately answered at the CDC ad there is conflicting info.

For example it was mentioned here that the mask should have a "snug" fit all round the noise and mouth but in this article here:

"https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-face-masks-what-you-need-to-know"

Your mask should cover your face from the bridge of your nose to under your chin. "It should be loose fitting" but secure enough to stay in place.