Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Discussion Forum

Just Reaching Out

Just Reaching Out

by John Doe -
Number of replies: 1

Hello, 

I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder three years ago. I have taken part in the Dialectic Behavioral Therapy offered at my local CMHA about a year and a half ago. Besides struggling with BDP, I tend to struggle with Social Anxiety as well as Depression. To say the least, the pandemic has been a little overwhelming at times. Couple that with getting a new job in May of this year and I have been very anxious most days. One of the more ironic things about my employment is that I am working at my local CMHA so unfortunately, due to conflict of interest concerns I am not able to be treated there. I was referred to a different agency close to where I live, but I was not able to keep my appointments and my counselling just kinda fell off after a while. Around the same time I was also seeing a behavioral change counsellor about my substance abuse issues, but that also kinda just fell off at the start of the pandemic due to the counsellor I was seeing taking time off for personal safety reasons and neither one of us really following-up on things. Somewhat needless to say, things have been rough at times, I know I'm not the only one going through stuff, all of humanity is basically dealing with the issues related to the pandemic, so I don't want to come off as I think I am the only one or anything like that, but with my condition and circumstances, things can be pretty difficult for me. 

Due to the previously mentioned things as well as the fact that I live alone and can feel quite lonely at times, I wanted to make this post. Just to reach out and tell my story, or at least a part of it, as well as let anyone out there with similar things that your not alone. I know how empty those words can seem when your going through things, but from someone who knows that type of pain and hurt, I just want to say your not alone. I promise.

In reply to John Doe

Re: Just Reaching Out

by COVID19 Moderator -
Hi John Doe, thank you for sharing your story with us here today! It must be difficult to deal with many co-occurring conditions, especially during this pandemic. I am sorry to hear that you lost connection with your counsellors as well. Even though everyone is going through their own difficulties during this time, we definitely do not want to discount the difficulties you have been/are facing. It is also very important that you take care of yourself during this time as well. It can be helpful to reach out to loved ones for support, and/or your family doctor or other health professionals (some counsellors are now offering virtual visits) for additional support, if required. We would like to thank you once again for sharing your personal story and for your empathetic words!

You can also check out our website for additional tips to help you during this time: http://www.camh.ca/covid19